Monday, January 29, 2007

Children of Promise

Bethany has just received a list of special needs children. They call them Children of Promise (COP) because, even with a special need, they hold great hope for their lives, especially once they have a family and good medical care. Most of the needs are considered minor and treatable--cleft lip, minor tumors, congenital heart disease, etc. I have been on the "edge of my seat" lately with a feeling of anticipation. I knew the list would be out in early February or maybe as late as March. So, getting the list today was a pleasant surprise.

Keith and I will be evaluating the children on the list see if any of them have needs that we feel we can cope with. From there, we have to put in a letter saying we are interested in parenting whichever child/ren we are considering. In about a week, Bethany's main office in Grand Rapids, Michigan will decide who is matched with the children.
The whole process is somewhat gruling with doctor's consultations and writing up the requests, not to mention the emotional portion. Please keep the kids on the list in your prayers, as well as the families that are applying. All we want is for God's will to be known.

6 viewers thoughts.:

Emmie said...

Will you get a child faster if you go through COP or do you just feel the need to help one of these children out? It's so sad that these children are placed in a whole different category just because of very minor problems, isn't it!?

Steffie B. said...

I'll keep you in my prayers. I reviewed th list as well, but I feel it si too early in the process for us. I would like a little more space between the next one and Daniel. But I will pray that if you and keith called to help one of these children, if it is His will, you will be chosen.
Hugs to you my friend.....
S*

GWEN OATSVALL said...

verna, how can i look at the list? i was expecting it in march and hoping our lid would be here. we have discussed COP children and feel the same as you ... we want pray over which needs we think we can handle and afford. let me know and we will pray for you all.

GWEN OATSVALL said...

okay, it is me again. i just called a friend about the cop list and apparently, my sw forgot to put me on the list, so is it a file you can send me ?? i know we are probably ineligible until we get a LID, but would love to see if there are any sept. 21st b-days.

The Shocks said...

we will keep you in our prayers also.

Beckyb said...

I SO feel your pain - as you know - I will be praying - we'd appreciate your prayers as well - it's not easy!