Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Vet Update--The bad and the worse


The vet appointment came with a few surprises. According to Ginger's paperwork, she was rescued in Kentucky--yep, a southern belle but couldn't convince the girls to name her Belle. I digress. After identifying the yucky thing mentioned in my previous post, I agreed to have a full workup on our new family member. Boy am I glad I did. The pour little thing has Ehrlichiosis-a tick borne parasite that infects red blood cells, found mainly in the southern states. She also has heart worm. Now that is the hardest to treat--kind of tricky. She will have a chest x-ray next month and after 3 months of Heart Guard, she will go into the puppy hospital for 2 days to have a very strong medication administered to kill the heart worms. THEN, she has to take it easy for a month so that when those worms dislodge, they don't cause a heart attack or stroke. I'm just feeling so bad for this pretty little pooch. She is so cute and the girls are so in love with her. I guess that is why she was rescued. No one really cared about her. The intestinal worms and Ehrlichia would have been enough but the heart worm put me into concerned pet owner (OK, mommy) mode. I know she will be OK cuz the vet said she has only had one negative outcome on the heart worm in all the cases she has treated. We'll just love her up so much that she will be really healthy and able to with stand the treatment. Maybe God is trying to prepare me for Lily's need??? Guess I will just think of it that way. He can use even a dog to teach us lessons.

5 viewers thoughts.:

Todd & Nichole said...

What a pretty, lucky puppy to have been adopted into your family. I think with all the love she will get from you guys she will pull through with flying colors.
Wishing you all well,
Niki

Lauren said...

Well, I am glad that she found a lovely family like yall to take care of her!!! I hope everything goes smoothly!

Beckyb said...

Oh Verna - what crummy news, but yes, even a silver lining in that one!! It sounds like a good outcome and you've got the right attitude!!! Just love her up!

Steffie B. said...

You picked her for a reason....I'm thrilled she has you!

nikki said...

You're such a good momma -- to ALL of your babies...hope everything works out alright with sweet Gingersnap.