Sunday, August 26, 2007

Waiting Gracefully


A friend is starting a new blog titled "Grace for the Wait". What a great idea! I'll pass on the address when she gets it up and running.

This morning while helping lead worship, my partner asked me to speak if anything was on my mind. Many times the Lord speaks to me during practice and this was one of those times. I asked everyone if they had ever waited for anything? Of course, everyone has waited for something. It could be a driver's license, a certain activity, being done with high school or college or as in my case, the arrival of a child.

Waiting is a PAIN! I hate it. In our "McDonald's" society, we want it now and as Burger King says it, Our Way. But, God has given us this wait, for a reason, even if we don't know the reason. What we do with the wait is our choice. We can spend every minute pining over the thing we are waiting for, totally focusing on it OR, we can use the time to prepare for the awaited outcome.

When we were waiting for Carrie to have brain surgery, back in 2005, we spent much time praying and coming to grips with the fact that the outcome could be bad. I remember saying the words, the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh, blessed be the name of the Lord. That was something I had to do in order to be prepared. It didn't make the actual surgery go better in our waiting room experience but we had come to terms with the worst possible outcome. Thankfully, our Carrie was spared from almost any ill effects. Praise be to God!!

When we waited for Mya's arrival, I spent my time working extra hours, both using up my time and earning money for her adoption. The best choice?? I'm not sure. After Mya came home, I found myself ill prepared for her arrival. I was not ready for the jet lag, emotional stress of a new little one and didn't know how to handle attachment issues. I could have used my time better.

Now I find myself waiting again for a child. Each day I get older and grow more gray hairs. At the same time, Mya is maturing, Erin, is hopefully recognizing how she wants another sibling, people at church are learning about adoption and people at work are also learning about adoption. Some are praying for us, others have given kind words and some are oblivious. What am I doing? I'm not sure I'm fairing very well. Some days I can't stand another minute without word of his/her arrival. Other days, I just love on Mya knowing our time together, mostly alone, is limited. We talk about what it will be like to have a sister (Erin is hoping for a brother). We read books about other children getting sisters from China. And just now I did what I often do, I laughed when Mya told me her tummy hurt because she ate too much at the Chinese Restroom.

I am learning to use wait times wisely. If I focus too much on the hoped for event, I not only lose today, frivolously hoping for the time to pass quickly but I also do not prepare for the event. So, when the big event finally comes, I am not as ready as I need to be.

How many times have we wished it was Friday so that we could have a fun or restful weekend? How many times have we thought "life will get better when . . . " only to have the ending of the sentence change to a new one once the first goal is met? Friends, cherish this moment for it is the only one you are guaranteed.

Blessings to each and everyone who reads this.

9 viewers thoughts.:

Todd & Nichole said...

Hi Verna,
I am a HORRIBLE waiter. I tend to concentrate on the event wishing the days away. Your words made me think and now I am going to try hard to be a better waiter and enjoy every minute. Tantrums AND laughters. Thanks for the great perspective.
Niki

amy said...

I am actually enjoying this wait because I know God is working behind the scenes and making the best mom I can be!

Beckyb said...

GREAT words and SO well said!! The waiting doesn't seem easy but we know there is a purpose to the wait. I am grateful for that!!

Anonymous said...

Verna...can I ever relate...different circumstances but same experiences/emotions...you are a wise woman and God helps each of us grow in the areas that we need, doesn't He!? Thanks for sharing...
Shelly Holt

The Phillips said...

Thank you Verna for those encouraging words! I am such an impatient "waiter" and have too many times wasted precious moments by "wishing my life away" (as my husband puts it). Thanks so much for the reminder to enjoy each day to the fullest! :)

Mr.Brian said...

Ouch!!!!How I needed to hear that.I have no wait in me.If I want an answer I want it 10 minutes ago.When i was waiting to find out about my present job it almost drove me crazy waiting to hear if I got the job.
One of my many many downfalls, and I need to work on it.
Great things come to those who wait.Thanks for putting it in such a thoughtful way.
And F.Y.I. I still think I have the best looking blog around.

Lauren said...

That is such a great point! Thanks for that!

GWEN OATSVALL said...

Amen ... waiting is hard, but God has such a plan .. a plan we can't understand and I love having a God so big that I can't understand His ways or thoughts ... love ya ...

Linette said...

Thank you for this Verna! I SO needed to hear it. Thank you for sharing from your heart and reminding us all to cherish each day!