Sunday, May 18, 2008

Paying it Forward--My Thoughts

I have noticed many blogs participating in the "Pay it Forward" posts. While I think it is a nice idea to share gifts and do nice things for one another, I have a different understanding of Pay it Forward.

When we first started our Church, our Pastor told us about his step dad, Rudy, who is about 95 now. Each month, Rudy got a lot of mail solicitors for charity donations. He'd sit down and decide who and how much to send to each. When asked why he continued to this, he would say that he was paying it forward. To Rudy, investing his money in ministries and charities was the only way to store up treasures in heaven. He wanted his gifts to have eternal reward.

I believe that Jesus Christ was the very first one to Pay it Forward when he paid the overwhelming debt of sin for all mankind by dying on the cross. If he was willing to make that kind of sacrifice for me when I was lost in sin, then it is a small thing for me to lift someone else up with unexpected kindness.

At the risk of sounding out of touch and possibly ungracious because I have not seen the film, I prefer sending little gifts to someone who is down or some cash to someone struggling or a donation to earthquake relief or sponsor a child from an organization like Compassion International. To me (and Rudy), that is truly Paying it Forward.

8 viewers thoughts.:

amy said...

what a beautiful post

OH MY #6 said...

great post from some one in my eyes, is always, always, PIF!

have a great day Verna

Lea

redmaryjanes said...

I think that is a wonderful point of view Verna and I can say first hand that you live that philosophy. You are an incredibly giving woman and help people who are in need.

Waiting for Mia Hope! said...

Great post! I completely agree and you are the finest example of PIF... for you do it without expecting anything in return. Thank you for being the blessing that you are to so many of us!

GWEN OATSVALL said...

i have been trying to put my money where my heart is and another way to pay it forward is to purchase the gifts you need (birthday, teacher gifts, mother's day and etc) from all the people selling something to pay for their adoptions ...

great post ... your heart is always evident ...

Steffie B. said...

Excellent......so totally you my sweet friend. ;)

The Princess's Mommy said...

What a great post! You are so right! Thanks for the reminder!

Monica

Don and Be said...

You have the right idea, Verna!