Saturday, January 30, 2010

Official Documentation of Going Gray


I made the decision last fall but it took a while to have it happen. What is that, you ask? Growing my hair out to it's "natural" color. Years ago, it was a nice deep brown. When the first grays appeared, I started coloring. Wow, that was over 19 years ago. I have tried to stop a couple times but a certain daughter told me I owed it to Mya and Noah, not to have gray hair. I had colored for so many years that I really did not know what my true color was anymore. I also did not know just how gray I had become. What a shock to actually cut off the bronzy red color that every box of color turned to and actually see my "true" color. I am still adjusting to seeing myself in the mirror. The hope is that, in time and with some length, I will not be so shocked at myself. For me, the decision was twofold. First, I was tired of the monthly ritual. Secondly, I was concerned at the continual chemicals that I was exposing myself to. Some folks are researching a connection between hair dye and diseases. No link has been officially made but for me, the risk is no longer worth the hassle of vanity. So, I am including a new photo of myself. I now look even more like a grandma to M & N but they don't care so why should I ????

6 viewers thoughts.:

Kim K. said...

You go GIRL!

Nancy said...

The gray sets off your pretty eyes! Gray is good!
Nancy

hollym. said...

Hey, Verna!
I like it! I looks nice and like you say the little treasures don't mind at all.

Heather said...

You are welcome to remind me of this in a few years, however I have always thought that men and women in their "natural" color always looked better. Is it confidence? I don't know, but I love a woman with a head of grey hair! I think you look lovely!

Kristi said...

Vern, I do not notice the gray of your hair but the lovely color of your EYES! Gentle eyes that smile!

Carrie said...

did i tell you i have found a couple of grays in my hair. scary!!